It is so nice to sleep in an actual bedroom as opposed to the hallway! Yes, the bed is back in its rightful place… and no, we’re not actually finished.
Here’s a little before & after of the empty room:
Brandon and I started our project last Wednesday by emptying the room, ripping up the carpet, and painting the walls and the ceiling yellow. It reminded me of my grandma’s old kitchen, and I promptly repainted the walls and the ceiling taupe (“Chocolate Froth” by Behr) the next day. Two coats. Then we took up the tack strips and old baseboards, and we began laying the bamboo floor. We finished laying the floor on Friday, and we installed the new baseboards. I also painted the window and door trim white (primer + two coats of paint). On Saturday we installed the baseshoe (the finishing touch to the baseboards that hides the gap for floor expansion), and the painting was finished on Sunday.
We learned that we are not expert woodworkers. It all looked much better after we caulked the gaps and painted though!
I hung Roman shades for privacy (they’re from Target, but I actually don’t like them very much). Curtains went up next. I chose brown, but that was before we had decided to put the bed under the windows. Now I wish I had picked a different color. On Monday, I brought up an 8×10 rug to go under the bed. I wasn’t sure about it, since the whole project was centered on changing the floor (which I think turned out beautifully). We had the rug already though, and I do like the way it looks now that the room is finished. I lugged the nightstands upstairs while Brandon was at work, and that was not fun, but I was really eager to get a lot done. They were heavier than they looked.
I did wait for Brandon to return before attempting to get the bed in. We were so worried we’d scratch our lovely new floors, but we managed to get the bed in place safely. Next it was time to hang our reading lamps, which you may remember from a previous post ().
And voila! A bedroom!