My fourth and final project for Better Homes & Gardens can finally be revealed! I decorated our front porch for Halloween with 2D and 3D spooky crows on twisted branches. My porch is up against the other three bloggers’ projects, so
In addition to the crows, several rats can also be found cavorting about. Even Bernard the monkey () has found a small furry friend.
The project was pretty straightforward, but here’s how I did it…
- black construction paper or poster board
- transparent tape
- large branches (the gnarlier, the better)
- black spray paint (optional)
- fake crows
- wire (if your crows do not have it already)
- planters and bricks/rocks for bases
- Sketch a barren tree and a couple of crows onto your black paper.
- Cut out your shapes and affix them to your door or window with transparent tape.
- If you need to darken your branches, spray them with a bit of black paint and let them dry.
- Fill your planters with rocks or bricks and insert your branches.
- Perch your birds in the branches and secure them with wire (my birds’ feet had wire built-in for this purpose).
I also took off our screen door (it was blocking the view of the silhouetted birds), and I made new curtains for the front door and window.
Remember, you can Now I can’t wait to answer the door for the neighborhood trick-or-treaters on Sunday…