I had thought that the round made its way here sometime in the past year, but looking back through my archives I see that it arrived mid-2015. So I’ve been looking for chairs for the library for a year and a half. (I mean, it’s not like I would wake up everyday and search, but on and off for sure.)
Then I came across these I had been thinking of going with a skirted chair, but most were a bit more than I was hoping to spend. has beautiful options. offered several, including with an interesting camelback design. Even was a contender, with or without a , though the shape wasn’t interesting enough to persuade me.
I Photoshopped the new Target chairs into my mockup file, thought about it for a day or two, then placed my order. (You’ve seen this mockup before, with different options. These lights and sconces, and now chairs, have all been made reality.)
Of course, in between ordering the chairs and waiting for them to arrive, entered the ring.
SO PRETTY. But really, I’ve gone down the road of those metallic legs before. That was my biggest dislike with these temporary chairs in the space. Still, very tempting, !
Anyway. that I chose for several reasons:
- the right shade of pink (blush, on the peachy side)
- skirted, to break up the leggy furniture and all of the wood in the room
- slipcovered (hello, three messy children)
- the right size and scale, and the back has an interesting details
- they fit my budget (I cashed out credit card points to buy them)
I’m always thinking I should sell the striped sofa because it’s too big for the space, but I do love it. There are other changes I’d like to see in the room, but I’m open to serendipity and taking my time.
The library has come together in stages, with each step moving us further along.
- September, 2013: move in (blank slate!)
- October, 2013: striped vintage sofa
- February, 2014: decide on built-in shelving
- April, 2014: thinking about a round table
- May, 2014: finished shelving and a rolling library ladder
- July, 2014: paint the walls (Pink Ground, Farrow & Ball)
- December, 2014: secretary desk
- June, 2015: finally order that round table when it goes on sale
- October, 2015: so many chairs, none quite right
- December, 2015: new lighting fixtures and sconces
- January, 2017: pink skirted chairs
Eventually. The rug and curtains need to work in the larger context of the home, so I’m taking my time there.
- add a large rug (9×12 or 10×14)
- brass curtain rods (custom for the curved windows?)
- add two pairs of pinch-pleat curtains and a roman shade
- sturdier chair with the secretary desk
- custom bench cushion (for below the window, unless we just accept that it will always be covered in books)
p.s. That table was cleared off after photos, and immediately covered in Legos. The books, with flowers, and are pretty, but the kids love playing in the library and I give them space to spread out with breakables moved elsewhere.